books for beginners

Carulli

books for beginners

Messaggio da Carulli » lun 07 lug 2008, 15:42

I have (and want) no teacher. Do you know good books for selftaught?
Maybe with some easy and nice playing stuff.

Antonio Daood

Re: books for beginners

Messaggio da Antonio Daood » lun 07 lug 2008, 17:42

why you don't want a teacher? :shock:
anyway.. if you really want to study as an autodidact, I think "guidar gradus" of Ruggero Chiesa is an excellent book for beginners, expecially for students without teacher... :wink:
but i think that a teacher is indispensable..
good study!

Anton :bye:

Carulli

Messaggio da Carulli » mar 08 lug 2008, 13:17

Anton David ha scritto: but i think that a teacher is indispensable..
Maybe you are right.
But the famous Carulli was an autodidact. Why not me?

Antonio Daood

Messaggio da Antonio Daood » mar 08 lug 2008, 16:37

:P right..
but is difficult studing without a teacher, you can't know where and when you make mistakens.. :)

Anton

Count

Messaggio da Count » ven 18 lug 2008, 16:10

You might try Frederick Noad's "Solo Guitar Playing". It includes a CD that might help you.

GeoffB

Messaggio da GeoffB » lun 21 lug 2008, 11:25

Hi Carulli,

Books are certainly useful, and I've used the Noad books myself. But a book cannot give you objective criticism. It can't say "You're bending that finger in the wrong place and getting poor tone, and you're getting a discordant sound by not damping that string at this point, etc" I taught myself before going to a teacher, and I had to start all over again and spend a lot of time unlearning all the bad habits I'd fallen into. I see people every day on Youtube playing quite advanced pieces, but I can tell they are autodidacts from their poor technique and lack of appreciation of tone, and I think to myself "That person could be really good if they had a teacher to guide them properly." One or two great guitarists may have managed it by themselves in the past, but then there are geniuses in every area of activity who can do things that the rest of us cannot do, and for ordinary mortals like you and me I think we can do better with a good teacher than without one. Just my opinion, of course - it's your choice! :)

Geoff

lapdog

Messaggio da lapdog » mer 10 dic 2008, 12:38

In addition to Noad's method, Charles Duncan's Modern Approach to Classical Guitar is also useful.
Linda

lapdog

Messaggio da lapdog » mer 10 dic 2008, 12:40

Charles Duncan also has (2) repertoire books to accompany his (3) volume method.

acelkins

Messaggio da acelkins » lun 29 dic 2008, 20:54

I would agree that the Noad book is by far the best. It comes with a CD, by the way.

The two-volume Christopher Parkening Method is also quite good, though not nearly as thorough.

And then, when you can read music and play a little, you might try Lawrence Ferrara's two-volume Student Repertoire Series. Unlike Parkening and Noad, there are no exercises, but lots of music from very simple to low intermediate, and with plenty of annotation. Also has a CD.

Good luck!

Lorette

Messaggio da Lorette » sab 03 gen 2009, 23:25

I vote for the Frederick Noad "Solo Guitar Playing" Book 1 with CD. The CD that my book came with had only the repertoire pieces on it, but I went ahead and bought the complete course CD with all the exercise duets on it as well as the repertoire pieces. Playing the duet exercises with the CD made learning easy and kept the timing correct. Some of the repertoire pieces are very beautiful and make fine performance pieces.

Also, I advise you to take at least a few lessons to start, just to make sure your posture and finger placement is correct and that you do not form bad habits that will hinder you up the road.

Good Luck and have fun. We are all here to help you. :ouioui:

gypsyjack

Messaggio da gypsyjack » gio 08 gen 2009, 00:52

I agree with the above...Noad is great. But before I discovered him, I went pretty far into Giuliani's method, which helped a lot (I still go through the right- and left-hand studies (Opus 1) regularly, usually as part of my warm-up. I also went most of the way through Carcassi's Method, and part of Carulli's Method. And I went through most of the first 3 volumes of Julio Sagreras' lessons. I guess I still go back to the various methods that have been published, because there are always good exercises in them, and I keep finding new things that I need to work on. Lots of good tunes in there too.

whooper

Messaggio da whooper » gio 08 gen 2009, 09:25

Dear Carulli,

I am a poor self-taught amateur guitarist. My music teacher was my late father. He played harmonica, guitar, and accordion since his youth in prewar days. I grew up hearing him play these instruments home. When I aged 7, he started musical lessons for me. Basically, he played some first and let me try to follow. Though I didn't understand theories at all, it was quite enjoyable and encouraging, as if a sort of sound game.

I was lucky. If he were a real professional? Probably, he forced on me lots of assignments and must have dried me up. I thank him but came to feel disappointed as I went up in the then dominant Carcassi method. After all, he was a poor amateur. Private guitar tutor was few and quite expensive then. I started training myself.

Teacher will teach what you don't do and know. As many moderators and fellows recommend, professional lesson must be a best choice but it is quite difficult to meet one who really understands and esteems your personality. Some are rigorous, others are carefree.

I started self-practising again a year ago. I have gained back so-so. As I wrote in Spanish forum, during X-mas holidays, I bought and practised a copy of Carcassi etudes by Ben Bolt. This helps me with checking my present level and correcting wrong by-products.

Let me introduce this. As you know, Carcassi's 25 etudes are essential for classical guitarists. Ben Bolt selects easier and more basic ones than a famous suite of 25. Some are from the 25. Attached CD plays his samples. Tablature may help you read and trace scores correctly.

Order Info.: ISBN: 0786675020 "Carcassi in Tablature" by Ben Bolt

Hoping to be of your little service
Whooper
P.S. We can pre-view its preface and some pages but the URL is elbowed out here.

gypsyjack

Messaggio da gypsyjack » mer 21 gen 2009, 19:54

Yeah, I can see that. Selecting different etudes is what I end up doing also. For example, I have a book of Sor's etudes, which contains many different sets of etudes and studies. I find that I pick and chose from amongst all of them, especially when warming up. I usually start with the easiest ones to get my fingers moving, them move back and forth through the book through each of the sets to put together my own set of studies. I started off doing it more or less at random, marking my favorites with sticky tabs...then I noticed that I was tending to just flip through the tabbed etudes for the most part. I did the same with a book of Carcassi studies and Giuliani studies. I guess we all have our favorites, and mine tend to concentrate exercises for left (fretting) hand (which is right hand for me, as I play left-handed). My feeling is that if I play the exercises that I like best, I'll tend to do the exercise part of my practice sessions a bit longer.

Dave W

Messaggio da Dave W » lun 26 gen 2009, 12:05

I'll also suggest the Noad books. Don't however forget that by using your ears & the many fine MP3 examples submitted by progressive members Delcamp Levels 1-6 materials is also an excellent self study programme. If you can also record & submit you'll find many who will listen & critique. Another good source is to be found at learnclassicalguitar.com.

Hope this helps :okok:

NewVillage

Messaggio da NewVillage » mer 18 mar 2009, 19:54

Thanks to all for sharing experiences & sources of knowledge. :merci:
I have a few of the mentioned books already. I don't need to buy another -- I need to use what I have! :ouioui: Also, don't forget to use the FREE stuff on Delcamp!
Ultima modifica di NewVillage il mer 18 mar 2009, 20:40, modificato 2 volte in totale.

Torna a “English”